Wednesday 21 May 2014

Crafting by a not very crafty mum - Behold socktopus!

When Little E was about 4 months we went through a phase where I couldn't leave the room without him screaming. I was going to be the tough mum who taught my child to be self reliant, but guess how long that lasted?

As long as I sat in the living room with him, he would play around on his mat happily. There was only so many useful things I could achieve with just my iPad, so it got me thinking about making things for him. 

I used to love making things. I'd spend hours drawing, painting plaster casts, messing around with play dough, but slowly it all stopped. Adult life got in the way. I had plans to take drawing classes, etc, when I finished university, but never got around to it. I'd always hoped having a baby would give me the "excuse" to unleash my creative side again.

I like this stuff, but essentially I'm a bit rubbish at it and too impatient, so I need quick and easy projects. A lot of craft projects I found were too intimidating. If this sounds like you, read on!

A couple of pairs of my favourite socks wore through. I hate darning them and they just end up wearing through again, so I thought there must be something I can do with them. A no sew option preferably.

Pinterest is a great resource and this is where I found Socktopus!

http://thehatched.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/socktopus/

The instructions here are very clear and I had no problems following them. I like to think I'm pretty environmentally friendly, so I tried not to buy anything to make my socktopus. I put the sock with the hole inside the other with some worn out baby socks to make the head. I have tried to keep as many ribbons from presents and had one that matched the socks to tie around to finish the head. I had samples of curtains that I had kept to make the eyes. All I had to buy was the fabric glue.

As I said, I have no idea what I am doing! I went to my local craft shop and checked out all the fabric glues. I bought the cheapest (UHU The All Purpose Adhesive) and I am pleased. We used it to fix my Big E's mobile phone case as well, so a good purchase.



And this is my socktopus. Nailed it?


Most people love him and Little E has fun pulling on the legs and enjoys me tickling his face. I hope it will be fun in future to throw around as a ball with streamers.

And yes...there are 8 legs.

1 comment:

  1. After looking at your site and enjoying all the fun you're having with things you child liked ... then realizing that my daughter is now 54 yo and my son is 48 - and both said "we don't want any of that crap" -- so, it's all mine and when I die, I guess someone will toss everything.

    Where did I go wrong ...

    ReplyDelete