Tuesday 9 December 2014

Crafting by not a very crafty mum - Christmas fun - scribbly snowflakes

At last! We are scribbling! This is something Little E has only just started doing at 14 months and I was so excited that I wanted to keep everything.

I see a lot of posts about creating memorable keepsakes with your little one. I think this is a bit odd. Isn't the best keepsake the spontaneous one that comes out of your little ones own imagination?

Also, have you tried? Most of the memorable keepsakes seem to involve perfect foot or handprints. These are then artfully decorated to become animals, etc, etc.

This will NEVER work with a one year old!

However, this does mean I am slowly collecting reams and reams of cute, but not very interesting scribbles.

I am now aware, I can't keep everything! However, I want to enjoy them for a while before I bin..I mean recycle them!

I like cutting out snowflakes to put up in our windows. I started doing it a few years ago, as I used to make tons as a kid and wanted to capture the magic again.

When I first started doing this, I just used to fold the paper up, cut out some bits and hang it up. Big E then said, "You know that snowflakes usually have radial 6-fold symmetry?" Er...no.

Big E then showed me how to fold my paper to create said symmetry and, I must admit, they started looking a lot more like snowflakes! Why had no one taught me this before?

So, I've been taking Little E's scribbles and turning them unto snowflakes for the windows. It's lovely to display them in a slightly different way over Christmas.

Here is what I do...

Step 1 - scribble!



Step 2- cut out a circle



Step 3 - fold in half



Step 4 - fold into sixths




Step 5 - cut your design


Step 6 - open!



Step 7 - display proudly!


No comments:

Post a Comment