Monday 19 June 2017

Crafting by not a very crafty mum - tie dye

Finally got to do something I've always wanted to do - dye a t-shirt.


Little E was bought a tie dye t-shirt as a gift. I was amazed at how great he looked in it. I've always be a bit dubious about tie dye, but this t-shirt opened my eyes to the amazing colours and patterns you could achieve.


As always, I like to make Big E a t-shirt for father's day and I thought maybe he'd look great in tie dye too. I did a quick search and it was easy to buy tie dye kits and there were loads of YouTube tutorials and ideas on Pinterest.

I kept wondering what it was about dyeing something that was so appealing to me. I think it's something about having a go at something so permanent, about taking the risk it will go wrong. I lean towards perfectionism and I am often very self critical. Maybe I always wanted to do this as a child to have a chance to "fail" at something. I think it also feels a bit destructive. Scribbling on a t-shirt! Maybe I wanted a chance to do something that felt rebellious.

Definitely bit off more than I could chew with my first tie dye. It "went wrong", but guess what? The world didn't end and I actually like the finished product.

I liked the idea of a heart motif. The video tutorials made it look a doddle! Just fold the t-shirt in half, draw half a heart, fold and dye.

Turns out that folding the pleats nicely took practice. I also should have pre-washed the t-shirt, as that helps the dye be absorbed. The dye kept running off mine! When I opened up the t-shirt, I didn't quite get a full heart.

Darn! If I were younger, I know what I would have done - hidden the evidence! Once when I was a student I tried to make a surprise cake for my parents. It was inedible! I didn't show them. I quickly disposed of the cake, tidied up and never mentioned it.  I was so ashamed about it! I'm better now, but it was tempting to bin the t-shirt.

Instead, I "fixed it". I used a fabric pen to draw in the rest of the heart. I then completed the project with Little E's handprint and Little A's footprint. They came out well, but I've had practice with the fabric paint. That's the only way I'll get better with the tie dye - practice. Fortunately there is a little left, so I might try a onesie for Little A. Then all my boys can be in tie dye!




No comments:

Post a Comment