Sunday 29 June 2014

Baby tips - Muslins are your new best friend

We're on the bus into town to enjoy the "beach" (glorified sandpit) at Oxford Castle when the terror seizes me. I've forgotten Little E's hat! He's going to get burnt in the sun, get skin cancer and die!

I suddenly remember that I had seen a mum who had tied a muslin around her baby's head into a cute bandana. I always have a pile of muslins with me, as I find them so useful. To my surprise, Big E calmly showed me how to tie one. Very gangsta...or pirate as most of my friends pointed out.

It got me thinking how amazing muslins are and how many things I use them for.

1) An instant hat! - There are videos on YouTube if you don't know how. I didn't! Basically fold the muslin into a triangle and tie it on.


2) As a sunshade and "nap time" indicator on the pram - Seen lots of people struggling with inbuilt shades and umbrella on their pram. I just dangled a muslin over the edge to provide extra or full coverage. A couple of clothes pegs hold it in place. When I was teaching Little E to nap, we would always draw the curtains in his room and I repeated this with his pram by "drawing" his muslin. It worked really well for Little E as he was sometimes so busy looking at things he couldn't sleep. It still works really well now that he is 9 months,


3) Blanket - If nothing else was available, I tucked in a muslin around him to keep Little E warm, especially if I had forgotten a hat. Once I tucked a muslin into the hood of his coat to add some extra padding. It also works well for keeping the sun off his feet when he is sleeping.

4) Photo prop


Sometimes a brightly coloured muslin is just there at the right time! I swear I didn't set this shot up. I just popped Little E down on his mat and he happened to be on top of a red muslin. My sister bought me a pack of beautiful coloured muslins when Little E was born. They are wonderful and have added gorgeous flashes of colour to our photos. I've always tried to choose colourful muslins since.

5) Mopping up sick - had to be in there somewhere!

6) Bib - Again, another mummy inspired me. I saw a friend of mine wrap an old muslin around her 3 year old to protect him from his lunch. We were starting to wean Little E and I was considering all the different options for bibs. Someone else I would have to buy and carry...sigh...was what I was thinking, but bunging a muslin around him, which I was carrying anyway sounded great.

Pros - large surface area covered, have one in bag anyway, take up very little space, light
Cons - get filthy (I only use cheap muslins now as the stains can be so hard to get out), juice can leak through to clothes


Er...and I think that is my list.

My favourite muslins were a gift from my sister. They are gorgeous bright colours, super soft and have lasted 9 months of punishment. They are from Faye and Lou. I love them! Problem - they are very expensive. £28 for a pack of 7. I don't think I would have bought them for myself, but I would definitely consider them as a gift for any of my friends due a baby.


I got a cheap pack of five from Sainsburys, which are doing well. Really big, but only in grey and white. 2 of them have a funky star print though, so I really like them. Worth trying I think. I also have some nice ones from Marks and Spencers. No idea how much they cost, as they were a gift, but jazzy colours and very soft despite so much use. I was very disappointed with a pack I bought form Mothercare. Rough and nasty within one use, so they are the designated bibs! At least they are in fun colours.

If your baby was like mine and threw up a lot, I'd definitely invest in some nice muslins. They are worth the money.

I'll finish with a question. What do you use your muslins for? Always looking for new ideas!

4 comments:

  1. Muslins were one of the few things I had bought when my son was born 13 weeks early. He was 1lb 7oz at birth.

    We used them as a swaddling blanket while he was in hospital. They are quite good for popping a cloth nappy for extra absorbency, or wrapping around the nappy area waiting for a nurse to do weigh in.

    I used them as a mattress topper in case of spew, and in special care I used them as sheets themselves as he was so small.

    I wish I had had a packet of the colourful ones, they look lovely. I had Asda for every day use, and at the time they did some quite nice ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd forgot about using them as a mattress topper. That saved us at 3am a few times!

    I'd heard Asda muslins were very good value. Good tip.

    27 weeks. That must have been tough. Hope you and your family are all well now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Joseph is 5 now, and you would never know, and I work for Bliss - the special care baby charity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found another great use for muslins. Emergency sun cover up for mum when she's forgotten her cardigan!

    ReplyDelete