Sunday 1 June 2014

Crafting by a not very crafty mum - CD toy

I hate wasting money and when Little E was only a few months I was struggling to think of toys that he would want to play with. His motor skills, etc were not up to much and the best thing for him was to lie on his playmat staring and touching things hanging above. I was lucky that a friend had let us borrow her baby gym, so I had something to start with.

A lot of my friends had new baby gyms and they all came with so many lovely things. I couldn't seem to buy many of the toys separately and those I could were pretty pricey. There were plenty of gorgeous toys we had received as gifts that Little E had no interest in, so I didn't want to buy things he wouldn't play with.

Upcycling to the rescue!

I go to a really good baby group in Marston and they are always showing us how to make simple things for our babies. Perfect for my level of skill, i.e next to none!

One day they showed us how you can stick two CDs together with pritt stick. Who knew?! I assumed you would need special glue to do this.


So, to make my new toy I used:

2 unwanted CDs (marketing)
Pritt stick
Leftover ribbon from a present
Lindt bunny ribbon with bell

I was worried about how baby safe it would be, but loads of babies have played and sucked on this with no incidents yet. They all love it. It glitters and shines, jingles and is easy to hold.

I brought home the one I made in my group. We had stuck on glitter and tissue paper (again with pritt stick). There was glitter everywhere! Seriously, it looked like Tinkerbell had moved in. Little E also had little problem tearing the paper off. I think I will store that idea away for when he is older and we can decorate a CD together.

I'm so glad I made it. Little E is now sitting confidently at 8 months and has little interest in his baby gym. If I had bought him toys it would have been a lot of money for a very small period of time. He might come back to his gym, but I suspect not.

No comments:

Post a Comment