Tuesday 26 August 2014

Crafting by not a very crafty mum - tie birthday card

The quest continues to make various things with Little E, but it's hard when he is only 11 months. I gave him a crayon to see if he would scribble something, but he ate it. A few minutes later we had purple vomit!

Fortunately, Little E started nursery about a month ago and his "paintings" have been coming home with him. I'm sure people are less squeamish than me, but I really can't bear the thought of an under one year old with paint in my house! Thank goodness for nursery with their wipe clean surfaces!


I saw lots of homemade tie shirts for Father's Day and was sure I could use one of Little E's finger paintings to make it.

First I need a good tutorial, as always and found this one very helpful.

http://thismummy.com/diy-shirt-and-tie-card-for-dad/

I used a very similar finger painting above, which was brown and gold, so I bought some A4 gold paper from Pen to Paper Summertown. I downloaded an image of a tie and used that to cut out the shape, as I didn't trust myself to do it by hand.

Problems I encountered:

1) I realised too late that the card I had bought was only gold on one side. It was white on the other. When I folded the card back, of course it made the "shirt" have a white collar. However, big E has a few colourful shirts with white collars and cuffs to contrast, so it didn't matter.

2) The tutorial was for a card in a different size to mine. I had to fiddle about a bit to get the collar to fold together properly. As ever, as I am a bit slap dash, I could have cut away too much card, so just be warned!

Apart from that, it was easy peasy! See the finished result below.


Big E really likes it and it is a way to preserve these early paintings without having to keep piles of paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment