Wednesday 9 September 2015

Big Bang Cake

Big E's birthday! I've got into the habit of decorating a cake in the style of what programmes we are enjoying at the time.

So I've done Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones. Time for...The Big Bang Theory!


If you are a fan of the show, you'll remember there is an episode where Sheldon drinks coffee and ends up hiding in a ball pit from his friend Leonard. It's very funny. This was trying to replicate that. I got the idea via Pinterest, as per usual.

It didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, but Big E appreciated it, Little E tried to eat all the M&Ms and our friends who love the show had a laugh.

I really cut corners this year, so I'm sure it could have turned out better. Here's what I did.

I was worried there wouldn't be time to bake a cake, so I bought one.


Then I cut out the ball pit. The cake had layers, so this was pretty easy to do. I used a plate to make a nice neat circle.



What did I do with the leftover cake I cut out, you ask?

Er....well...some of it might have gone in my mouth. Just to test of course...

Then I rolled out ready made red icing. I am useless at icing, so it's a bit of mess. It didn't help that there wasn't quite enough.


I cut out images of Sheldon and Leonard and stuck them on cocktails sticks, so I could push them into the cake.




I then added the balls to my ball pits. I used M&Ms, because I like them and they are nice and colourful, but you could use anything you fancy.


I had found edible gold glitter spray and fancied giving it a go. I thought I could use a stencil to write out Bazinga, etc. I should have taken more care, as you can see ther letters all smudged. I was going to use black and yellow icing originally, but was intrigued by the glitter. I think it would have looked much better with the icing.


It tasted yummy! We all enjoyed the M&Ms with our cake. I shouldn't feel so despondent about the result. Not everything will turn out as well as I'd hoped! That's the point...to learn new things. It will be better next time.

We are watching Person of Interest at the moment. Not sure how to make that into a cake...

No comments:

Post a Comment